Elise Amendola / Elise Amendola / AP
J.P. Norden, right, followed by his brother, Paul, both suffering limb-loss after the Boston Marathon bombing, emerge from a news conference at Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital in Boston's Charlestown section Monday, May 13, 2013.
The One Fund Boston, which has raised more than $30 million for victims of the Boston Marathon bombings, on Wednesday announced a final protocol for distributing the funds which they hope to have in claimants' hands by June 30.
The protocol prioritizes claims for deaths, double amputations and for bombing victims who sustained permanent brain damage, followed by single amputations and then those victims with physical injuries who required an overnight hospital stay.
Claim forms, which are available on OneFundBoston.com, are due by June 15. After that, the requests will be reviewed and distributed on the final day of June.
"The outpouring of support for The One Fund has been unprecedented in my experience," said Administrator Kenneth Feinberg in a press release announcing the final protocol. "We remain committed to channeling that generosity to assist those most impacted by the bombings and to do so by the end of June."
Earlier this month, two town hall meetings were held in Boston to discuss how the funds should be distributed.
Potential claimants will also be able to request a face-to-face meeting with Feinberg, who has played a similar role overseeing victim compensation in the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks, the 2007 Virginia Tech shooting, the 2010 oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico and the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in December 2012.
Claims made after June will be decided on a rolling basis, determined by consultation with the victims, community and One Fund Boston Board, the protocol says. Those killed or injured during the pursuit of bombing suspects Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev are also eligible for compensation.
The announcement came exactly one month after the bombings that killed three and injured over 250. On Wednesday, at 2:50 p.m., the time of the first bomb blast exactly a month earlier, Boston Police raised an American flag over their headquarters to full staff. They also removed black mourning bands from their badges.
Also on Wednesday the Boston Globe reported that thirteen deputy chiefs from the Boston Fire Department sent a letter to Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino calling Fire Chief Steve E. Abraira's response to the bombings inadequate.
Abraira contends that when he got to the scene the command staff had the situation under control. "When I got there I was comfortable with what was going on," he told the newspaper.
Jeff Black of NBC News contributed to this report.