The jury will be sequestered in the trial of George Zimmerman, the Florida man accused of second-degree murder in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin, the judge said Thursday.
Judge Debra Nelson made the statement in court on the fourth day of jury selection. Prosecutors and the defense are trying to find six jurors, plus alternates, who say they can hear the case with an open mind despite its high profile.
Zimmerman claims he was acting in self-defense when he shot Martin on the night of Feb. 26, 2012. He has pleaded not guilty.
Both sides said Thursday that the trial will take roughly two to four weeks.
Jury selection has focused on the extensive pre-trial publicity. One potential juror estimated that she had seen 200 news reports about the case, and another said: “Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the last year, it’s been pretty hard for people not to have gotten a lot of information.”
Editor’s note: George Zimmerman has sued NBCUniversal for defamation. The company has strongly denied his allegations.
This story was originally published on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:38 PM EDT