While fellow democrats are urging Anthony Weiner to step down from the New York City mayoral race, Weiner's communications director Barbara Morgan is apologizing for a profanity-filled tirade against a former intern who spoke to the New York Daily News about the campaign. NBC's Stephanie Gosk reports.
Anthony Weiner’s campaign doesn’t back down from a fight.
On Tuesday evening, responding to an expose penned by a former campaign intern in the New York Daily News, Weiner campaign communications director Barbara Morgan went into an expletive-laced tirade to the website Talking Points Memo.
Calling the young intern several disparaging names for the female anatomy, Morgan also threatened to sue the college student for the Daily News piece.
David Gregory, moderator of "Meet the Press," discusses the scandals plaguing Anthony Weiner's campaign for New York City mayor, saying "the biggest issue for him is public trust."
The intern, Oilvia Nuzzi, had painted a grim picture of her experience working for the Weiner campaign for mayor of New York City. She said many of her fellow interns were just there to get closer to Weiner’s wife, Huma Abedin, who is an aide to Hillary Clinton. She also claimed that Weiner mistakenly called many of his female interns "Monica."
Nuzzi also disparagingly pointed out that Morgan had last worked as the press secretary for the New Jersey state education commissioner.
Morgan, apparently, did not like that.
“I’m dealing with like stupid f------ interns who make it on to the cover of the Daily News even though they signed NDAs and/or they proceeded to trash me,” Morgan told TPM, referring to a non-disclosure agreement. “And by the way, I tried to fire her, but she begged to come back and I gave her a second chance.”
That’s one of the few lines that’s somewhat printable.
Later Tuesday night, Morgan told NBC News in a statement: "In a moment of frustration, I used inappropriate language in what I thought was an off the record conversation. It was wrong and I am very sorry, which is what I said tonight when I called and emailed Olivia to apologize."
Meanwhile, earlier on Tuesday, the candidate himself also came out swinging, saying in a new campaign video that quitting isn’t his style, and he’s not giving up on his fight to become mayor of New York City — despite what everyone else thinks.
"Quit isn't the way we roll in New York City. We fight through tough things. We’re a tough city," Weiner says, staring straight into the camera in the minute-long video posted on his campaign's website.
Addressing "newspaper editors and other politicians" who have called on him to end his mayoral run, Weiner said these individuals don't know New York or him.
The remarks follow last week's admissions that he sent more lewd pictures of himself to women online — even after publicly apologizing and resigning from Congress over similar behavior.
In addition to the politicians he's running against, others have called for Weiner to drop out of the race — including New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo. Even former governor and current wannabe city-comptroller Eliot Spitzer, himself no stranger to sex scandal, has said Weiner should not be mayor.
There have even been indications that Hillary Clinton — his wife’s employer — wants him to step aside in the wake of the latest sexting revelations.
Weiner resigned from Congress in 2011 after admitting he had accidentally sent an inappropriate picture over Twitter.
A new poll released Monday found Weiner's support dwindling -- from 26 to 16 percent -- as more voices are calling for him to bow out of the mayor's race.
He says in the video that if someone reveals "embarrassing" things about one's private life, you have to talk about it.