Discuss as:

New York's JFK Airport temporarily shut after plane skids off icy runway

NBC 4 New York

A Delta plane landing at New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport from Toronto skidded off an icy runway just after 8 a.m. Sunday.

A plane landing at New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport skidded off an icy runway just after 8 a.m. Sunday, prompting officials to temporarily shut down the airport, authorities said.

The FAA said Delta Connection flight 4100 originated in Toronto and was being flown by Endeavor Air, according to NBC New York. No injuries were reported, and the FAA is investigating.

The pilot of a small plane that landed on a highway in the Bronx, N.Y., calls an air traffic control tower for help Saturday.

The plane was a Bombardier CRJ jet, officials said.

Ron Marisco, a spokesman with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which operates the airport, told NBC News that the plane had 35 people aboard and skidded into a snow bank while turning onto a taxiway after landing safely at runway 22L. Emergency crews were on the scene.

Delta Airlines said the plane was towed to a gate and passengers exited into the terminal.

Jordan Houlton, a 27-year-old teacher in Mexico, said he managed to sleep through the slide and didn’t learn until later that the plane had skidded off course.

NBC News

Freezing rain and icy runways led JFK International Airport in New York to temporarily shut down Sunday morning. A plane landing from Toronto skidded off the runway, the FAA said.

“I was sleeping. I woke up and it was 9:30,” Houlton said. “A police officer came on to make sure everyone was OK. Luckily, everyone was OK. It was kind of wild. I still can’t believe it.”

To ensure safety, the Port Authority and FAA temporarily closed the airport so that crews could salt and sand the runways, Marisco said. Flight operations resumed at JFK at about 10:30 a.m., officials said.

The flight also came a day after a small plane traveling to Connecticut after a tour of the Statue of Liberty made an emergency landing on the Major Deegan Expressway in the Bronx. Neither the pilot nor his two passengers were seriously injured.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.