Mecklenburg County Sheriff
William Hilton Paul, 19, was arrested Saturday at Charlotte Douglas International Airport for alcohol-related offenses.
William Hilton Paul, the 19-year-old son of Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) and grandson of former presidential candidate Ron Paul, was arrested Saturday morning for alcohol-related offenses at Charlotte Douglas International Airport, police said.
After arriving on a U.S. Airways flight from Lexington, Ky., police charged Paul, who lives in Bowling Green, Ky., with three misdemeanors, including consuming beer/wine underage, disorderly conduct and being intoxicated and disruptive.
Paul’s bond was posted at $750. He was released about two-and-a-half hours after he was booked at the Mecklenburg County Jail, county records show.
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Lt. Blake Hollar told the Charlotte Observer that Paul “was possibly served alcohol on the flight."
He is scheduled to appear in court at 1 p.m. Tuesday.
In a brief statement from Rand Paul’s office, communications director Moira Bagley said, "Sen. Paul is a national public figure and subject to scrutiny in the public arena, however, as many parents with teenagers would understand, his family should be afforded the privacy and respect they deserve in a situation such as this."
More content from NBCNews.com:
- Rewards planned in possibly linked killings of elderly Calif. women
- Some wounded vets shine on 'Alive Day,' others wear black
- California man says he can drive in carpool lane with corporation papers
- Police: 4 dead, including gunman, in Aurora, Colo., hostage situation
- Tattoo photos lead to woman's arrest in global child porn investigation
- What Supreme Court? Gay marriage battles rage in the states
- Video: Warehouses full of criminal evidence lost to Sandy